Note from the LeftEast editors: Our comrades from the Serbian Left-wing portal MAŠINA spoke to Marxist political economist Leo Panitch (York University) during his stay in Belgrade. There he was a guest at the conference The Return of Utopia (BCS), organized by the Center for Political Emancipation. This is the first appearance of the interview in English. Its original publication in Serbian can be accessed here. On behalf of Masina it was carried out by András Juhász. Q: Would you publicly declare yourself to be a socialist? A: Definitely. Q: Why? A: That’s a hard question to decide how to answer. In t ..
- Healthcare tailored to the interests of capital
- Andreas Karitzis: The Left in power. What can we learn from the case of SYRIZA? (Part II)
- Andreas Karitzis: The Left in power. What can we learn from the case of SYRIZA? (Part I)
- Leo Panitch: “What does it mean to smash the state? This is our great challenge.”
- Turkey’s fragile Bonapartism
Ilya Matveev// Nov. 21, 2016// OpenDemocracy-Russia The arrest of a federal minister shows that, in Russia, the government and the country’s largest state company are increasingly turning to force. Russia’s Minister of Economic Development Alexey Ulyukaev arrives at Moscow’s Basmanny Court. (c) Maksim Bli ..