In December of 2016, students organized several “sanctuary campuses” across the City University of New York (CUNY) system, one of the largest university systems in the U.S. Reeling from the victory of Donald Trump, activists organized sanctuary “safe spaces,” working with university administrators to ensure that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) investigators would have limited access to background information, and to set up a system that reported harassment and intimidation of “undocumented” students. Disgust with the explicit racism of the current political regime is the basis for the sanctu ..
- Polish Law on Historical Memory Widens Divisions at Home and Abroad
- Francesca Coin: I read “power to the people” as power to the class suffering the effects of economic violence
- The Wounds of Afrin, the Promise of Rojava: an Interview with Nazan Üstündağ
- The Left in Greece & Macedonia: We can write new pages of common struggle!
- Panagiotis Sotiris: We can write new pages of common struggle!
Panagiotis Sotiris is a writer and activist living in Athens. He is a member of Left Recomposition (Aristeri Anasynthesi, ARAN), an organization of the Greek Radical Left and also of Popular Unity, which is a left-wing front in Greece. LeftEast: It is interesting to think if, to what extent and how the left in each c ..