In December of 2016, students organized several “sanctuary campuses” across the City University of New York (CUNY) system, one of the largest university systems in the U.S. Reeling from the victory of Donald Trump, activists organized sanctuary “safe spaces,” working with university administrators to ensure that Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) investigators would have limited access to background information, and to set up a system that reported harassment and intimidation of “undocumented” students. Disgust with the explicit racism of the current political regime is the basis for the sanctu ..
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Twenty Years after Castoriadis, one Hundred Years after the October Revolution
- The Rent is too Damn High! – the development of the first Romanian tenants’ association
- Bulgaria’s growing problem with violence among children: a piece is missing or the puzzle is wrong?
- Dissidents among Dissidents: Interview with Ilya Budraitskis about his recent book
- Politics of the Left beyond Resistance: Reflections and Visions from our 2017 encounter in Skopje
This article was first published in the Brooklyn Rail IN CONVERSATION MAPLE RAZSA with Duncan Ranslem Maple Razsa is Professor of Global Studies at Colby College. He has studied and participated in alter-globalization movements across Europe, paying particular attention to how video is produced, distributed, and consum ..