Note from the LeftEast editors: Our comrades from the Serbian Left-wing portal MAŠINA spoke to Marxist political economist Leo Panitch (York University) during his stay in Belgrade. There he was a guest at the conference The Return of Utopia (BCS), organized by the Center for Political Emancipation. This is the first appearance of the interview in English. Its original publication in Serbian can be accessed here. On behalf of Masina it was carried out by András Juhász. Q: Would you publicly declare yourself to be a socialist? A: Definitely. Q: Why? A: That’s a hard question to decide how to answer. In t ..
- “Scratch a Russian liberal and you’ll find an educated conservative”: an interview with sociologist Greg Yudin
- The Freedom to Say “No”: Interview with dismissed Turkish academic and Yeniyol editor Uraz Aydin
- Romanian Soldiers and 1917: Memoirs from the other Side of the Revolution
- Out in the Cold: Romania and Bulgaria look away from transborder collaboration
- Romania: Two Elephants in the Room
This article first appeared in The Los Angeles Review of Books on March 6, 2017. ON JANUARY 25, 2017, the Budapest City Council decided to remove the statue of Georg Lukács from a park in the city’s 13th district. We invited philosopher G. M. Tamás to comment on the significance of the gesture. Before 1914, ..