Turkey’s border with Syria is not the only border region in the country where people are dying. Along the so-called “green border” of the European Union the last few years have witnessed a rising tide of migrants forced back into Turkey, mostly by European police forces. Today, Europe’s politicians are using Turkey as a gatekeeper. This is an old strategy, and has been ineffective so far. Europe has not been putting up the funds needed to enforce it, even if the EU has been investing in Turkish border technologies and camp facilities for some time. To understand the recent developments and their possib ..
- Class and minority struggles in Iran today: Interview with Kamran Matin
- Scrap mines, call centers and hashish plantations: The grim options facing Albanian workers
- Russia’s Electoral Circus
- The Only Way to Fight Fascism Is United in a Front (Interview with Onur Hamzaoglu)
- The putsch that never was: Romanian PSD in turmoil
The article was originally published in the portal of the Bulgarian left, New Left Perspectives. KOI’s 2018 report “The people” against welfare payments: or the art of making those in need ask for more restrictions against themselves authored by Vanya Grigorova is a follow-up of an earlier, 2016 report entitled ..