Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orbán’s visit to Israel last week came at a moment in which the latter’s slide into legally-sanctioned racism has taken on particularly stark colors. In the final meeting of its summer session, the Israeli Knesset enacted the “Nation-State Law,” formally enshrining the ethnic exclusivity of the Jewish state and the degraded status of its Palestinian citizens. Though the bill passed narrowly, it has met with little public push-back. In an ironic sign of the times, another new law ruling out state-funded surrogacy for gay couples has sparked middle-class revolt and declarati ..
- Class and minority struggles in Iran today: Interview with Kamran Matin
- Scrap mines, call centers and hashish plantations: The grim options facing Albanian workers
- Russia’s Electoral Circus
- The Only Way to Fight Fascism Is United in a Front (Interview with Onur Hamzaoglu)
- The putsch that never was: Romanian PSD in turmoil
The article was originally published in the portal of the Bulgarian left, New Left Perspectives. KOI’s 2018 report “The people” against welfare payments: or the art of making those in need ask for more restrictions against themselves authored by Vanya Grigorova is a follow-up of an earlier, 2016 report entitled ..