Playing it safe when losing is a bad strategy. Yet this is precisely what Bulgarian voters did in the 2017 Bulgarian elections. 32,65% of Bulgarians voted for Boyko Borisov’s party Citizens for European Development of Bulgaria (GERB), giving it a comfortable lead ahead of the Bulgarian Socialist Party (BSP) with 27, 20% of the vote. The United Patriots coalition came third with 9,7%, which is a good result but still lower than their own expectations and very close to the 8,99% of the Movement for Rights and Freedoms (DPS). The fifth party in parliament is “Will” (“Volya”), led by the shady Varna busi ..
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- In memoriam to Jasna Tkalec, 1941-2017
- The Base and Navalny: How Can the Left Work with the Anti-Corruption Movement?
- The Contradictions of European Capitalism: An interview with Joachim Becker – Part II
- Radicalizing the Sanctuary Movement
- Of Fences, national securities and solidarity: An open letter to Momentum
Even if Corbyn does not become British PM tomorrow, his performance will certainly be a major boost to an international Left, which finds itself completely demoralized in a world descending into barbarism. I don´t harbour any illusions on what Corbyn can achieve as PM or even within a Labour Party apparatus largely ho ..