Note from the LeftEast editors: a longer version of this piece was first published in Bulgarian by web portal Baricada. Over the last week, the major media outlets in Bulgaria, and especially the liberal press, were taken over by a seemingly small-scale scandal: an online celebrity called Alexander Nikolov tricked tens of people with the promise of buying them cheap plane tickets. To do this he “just” needed their credit card details. In some cases he did not deliver the promised tickets, in others – he withdrew money from the credit cards in small instalments. The first remarkable thing about this case is ..
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- The importance of being Alexander Nikolov, or what is eating the Bulgarian middle class?
- Bakur Rising: Democratic Autonomy in Kurdistan
- The Romanian Pension System Between Low Wages and Demographic Fears
- From historical affinities to effective solidarities: Israel and Eastern Europe
- To Stop the Engine of Inequality: a Bulgarian Campaign for Tax Reform
Note from the editors: This article was originally published in ROAR magazine here. Bakur Rising: Democratic Autonomy in Kurdistan By Nazan Üstündağ Illustration by David Istvan Photo by Uygar Önder Simsek / MOKU In recent years, following the collapse of the peace process between the Turkish state and the Kurdish ..