Note from the LeftEast editors: a longer version of this piece was first published in Bulgarian by web portal Baricada. Over the last week, the major media outlets in Bulgaria, and especially the liberal press, were taken over by a seemingly small-scale scandal: an online celebrity called Alexander Nikolov tricked tens of people with the promise of buying them cheap plane tickets. To do this he “just” needed their credit card details. In some cases he did not deliver the promised tickets, in others – he withdrew money from the credit cards in small instalments. The first remarkable thing about this case is ..
- Land-grabbing and the Financialization of Agricultural Land
- Introducing the Five Senses of Austerity
- Denial of the Obvious: the Far Right in the Maidan Protests and Their Danger Today
- The Solidarity of the Business Class, or Building Anti-Environmentalist Alliances in Bulgaria
- A Brief History of the Turkish Left, Part 2: from the 1980 Coup to the Present
Panagiotis Sotiris is a writer and activist living in Athens. He is a member of Left Recomposition (Aristeri Anasynthesi, ARAN), an organization of the Greek Radical Left and also of Popular Unity, which is a left-wing front in Greece. LeftEast: It is interesting to think if, to what extent and how the left in each c ..