Early last year the Estonian writer and controversial public figure Kaur Kender was formally charged with production of child pornography. The charges related to a novella Kender penned in the winter of 2014 entitled Untitled 12, which depicts the violent sexual abuse of women and children by an unnamed protagonist. The persecution of the novella’s author has ensured that it has achieved an infamy incommensurate with its literary worth. Kender’s trial began in May in Tallinn. At the request of the prosecutor, Lea Pähkel, the trial has been partially closed ‘for reasons of public morality’ bu ..
- The Trump Effect in the Balkans: Serbia’s third election in four years?
- Alexandra Elbakyan: ‘The Fight Against Copyright Cannot Be Apolitical’
- Open Letter to the University of Vienna
- Romania’s protests and Hungary: Interview with G. M. Tamás
- The Marvelous and the Everyday: How Rama is failing the Left in Albania
We, the undersigned, condemn the invitation of Ayelet Shaked, minister of Justice and member of far-right party HaBayit HaYehudi in Israel who openly called for mass murder of Palestinians to hold a roundtable discussion at the University of Vienna on the 15th of February, called “Protecting Human Rights While Counte ..