Early last year the Estonian writer and controversial public figure Kaur Kender was formally charged with production of child pornography. The charges related to a novella Kender penned in the winter of 2014 entitled Untitled 12, which depicts the violent sexual abuse of women and children by an unnamed protagonist. The persecution of the novella’s author has ensured that it has achieved an infamy incommensurate with its literary worth. Kender’s trial began in May in Tallinn. At the request of the prosecutor, Lea Pähkel, the trial has been partially closed ‘for reasons of public morality’ bu ..
Subscribe to our Newsletter
- Electoral Advance For The Radical Left in Croatia
- Bulgaria’s New Cabinet and EPP’s Flirt with the Extreme Right
- Ukraine’s Civil War Crimes: Facebook Post As Bad As Kidnapping, Torture, and Murder
- Socially Destructive Amendments to the Hungarian Labour Code Need to be Opposed
- Interview with Mariya Ivancheva
This text was initially published by The Financial Times. The European Central Bank improperly veered into political activity during the eurozone crisis and should withdraw from the “troika” of international bailout monitors, according to anti-corruption watchdog Transparency International. In a review of the centr ..